Current:Home > InvestJapan criticizes Russian ban on its seafood following the release of treated radioactive water -Capitatum
Japan criticizes Russian ban on its seafood following the release of treated radioactive water
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-07 01:58:20
TOKYO (AP) — Japan criticized Russia’s announcement that it’s joining China in banning the imports of Japanese seafood in response to the release of treated radioactive wastewater from the wrecked Fukushima nuclear power plant.
Russia said it will start implementing import restrictions on Japanese seafood on Monday, nearly two months after the tsunami-wrecked Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant started releasing treated and diluted radioactive wastewater into the ocean.
The wastewater discharges, which are expected to continue for decades, have been strongly opposed by fishing groups and neighboring countries including South Korea, where hundreds of people have protested. China immediately banned all imports of Japanese seafood the day the release began in August, badly hurting Japanese seafood producers and exporters.
The Japanese Foreign Ministry said its senior officials notified the Russian Embassy in Tokyo that Japan has been providing transparent and scientific explanations about safety of the treated water release from the Fukushima plant and Japanese seafood. The ministry also said the Japanese side “sincerely and politely” responded to Russia’s abrupt request for a dialogue last week on the issue by submitting documents.
The ministry called Moscow’s restrictions “unjust” and said they go counter to the global move toward easing or lifting of import restrictions on Japanese food.
“The decision by the Russian side is extremely regrettable, and we strongly demand its withdrawal,” the ministry said. “Japan continues to seek actions based on science.”
The plant’s first wastewater release began Aug. 24 and ended Sept. 11. During that release, TEPCO said it discharged 7,800 tons of treated water from 10 tanks. In the second discharge that began Oct. 5, TEPCO plans to release another 7,800 tons of treated water into the Pacific Ocean over 17 days.
The International Atomic Energy Agency has reviewed the safety of the wastewater release and concluded that if carried out as planned, it would have a negligible impact on the environment, marine life and human health.
A team of IAEA experts from China, South Korea and Canada is set to conduct sampling of seawater and marine life at and near the plant this week.
Japan’s government has set up a relief fund to help find new markets and reduce the impact of China’s seafood ban. Measures also include the temporary purchase, freezing and storage of seafood and promotion of seafood sales at home.
TEPCO and the government say discharging the water into the sea is unavoidable because the tanks will reach capacity early next year and space at the plant will be needed for its decommissioning, which is expected to take decades.
They say the water is treated to reduce radioactive materials to safe levels, and then is diluted with seawater by hundreds of times to make it much safer than international standards.
veryGood! (26991)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Officials searching for a missing diver in Florida recover another body instead
- Over 80,000 Illinois people banned from owning guns still keep them, report shows
- DeSantis signs Florida bill making climate change a lesser priority and bans offshore wind turbines
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker's speech was ugly. He's only part of a bigger problem.
- Nearly 80 officials overseeing elections in 7 swing states doubt 2020 results
- US cites ‘misuse’ of AI by China and others in closed-door bilateral talks
- Euphoria's Hunter Schafer Says Ex Dominic Fike Cheated on Her Before Breakup
- Biden and Trump agree to presidential debates on June 27 and Sept. 10
Ranking
- Sam Taylor
- How many calories are in an egg? A quick guide to the nutrition facts for your breakfast
- King of walks: 25-year-old Juan Soto breaks Mickey Mantle record
- Mark Zuckerberg and Wife Priscilla Chan Share Rare Photos of Their Daughters
- A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
- Portal connecting NYC and Dublin, Ireland shuts down over 'inappropriate behavior'
- Where to watch NFL schedule release 2024: Time, TV info, international and Christmas games
- Watch: Navy class climbs greasy Herndon Monument after two-hour struggle in freshman ritual
Recommendation
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Another politically progressive prosecutor in the San Francisco Bay Area faces recall election
This Week’s Landmark Transmission Rule Forces Utilities to Take the Long View
Meta to shut down Workplace app for business
Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
Bumble drops controversial ad poking fun at celibacy, abstinence, issues apology
Bring Home the Vacay Vibes With Target’s New Summer Decor Drop, Including Essentials Starting at $3
Kansas governor cites competition concerns while vetoing measure for school gun-detection technology